The magnificent Arundel Castle was established in 1067 by Roger de Montgomery, and he became the first of a long line in the Earldom of Arundel when the title was bestowed upon him by William the Conqueror.

The second husband of Henry Ist ‘s widow, William d’Albini, was confirmed in the Earldom by Henry II, and from that time on, apart from the occasional reversion to the Crown, Arundel Castle has passed from the d’Albinis to the FitzAlans, and from the FitzAlans to the Howards in the sixteenth century. The Howards hold the Dukedom of Norfolk, and Arundel Castle has been their seat for over 850 years.

Holding the ownership of the great castle was no small feat, as this time covered some very dangerous eras. Several prominent members of the Howard family fell foul of the ruling monarchs, and paid with their lives.

It was the 14th Earl, known as “The Collector”, who started the magnificent treasure trove that comprises the Arundel Castle displays that are occasionally open to the public.

Amongst these chambers of artefacts is an extensive collection of arms and armour, which has never been properly catalogued. Something that Jay Maxwell and Iason Tzouriadis of Tempus Fugitives have now been tasked to carry out by the museum curatorial staff.

All this information will then be made publicly available on line, for the benefit of researchers everywhere. This is entirely in keeping with the aims of Tempus Fugitives, which is playing an important part in bringing the historical aspects of European martial arts to the attention of the public, as well as encouraging participation whether actively or academically.